Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 17:21:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        smpatel@wam.umd.edu (Sujal Patel)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, green@fang.cs.sunyit.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX Sound SystemTM (USS) Lite (Formerly VoxWare)

> On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
>>> USS Lite is a freeware version of the full UNIX Sound System. In short it's
>>> exactly the same than current TASD 3.5 which is available for Linux, FreeBSD
>>> and BSD/OS 2.1. The only difference between TASD and USS Lite will be a min
>>
>> In other words, this driver will NEVER be incorporated into FreeBSD.

My words exactly...
Well, I think we have been bitten by one of those that does freeware as a
"holy cow", when everybody is turned into belivers, you start milking
the cow :(, not my idea of free software...

> We should probably just go with TASD 3.5 which is under a BSDish
> copyright and then develop sound ourselves from here on.  At least there
> is one bright side to this, we can finally clean up some of the sources so
> we don't have #ifdef LINUX #ifdef SYSV #ifdef SCO #BSDI, and the assorted
> horrible mess...

Yep, lets clean up this mess, then we can always add any new features
this "bright" guy invents ourselves....

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..