Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 15:03:42 -1001
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   GUS PnP

Rats.  My GUS Pro still doesn't work properly.  This is on a no-name
AMD 486-133/PCI/PnP motherboard with the guspnp6 stuff added:

  FreeBSD 2.2-BETA_A #0: Sat Feb 22 20:09:28 HST 1997
      richard@ms.pegasus.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/ms1-sound
  Calibrating clock(s) relative to mc146818A clock ... i8254 clock: 1193714 Hz
  CPU: AMD Am5x86 Write-Back (486-class CPU)
    Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x4f4
  real memory  = 50331648 (49152K bytes)
  avail memory = 46157824 (45076K bytes)
  Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
  chip0 <SiS 85c496> rev 49 on pci0:5
  Checking for GUS Plug-n-Play ...
  Board Vendor ID: GRV0001     Board Serial Number: 00000001
  gus0 at 0x220 irq 9 drq 0 flags 0x1 on isa
   at 0x32c dma 1,0
   at 0x220 irq 9 dma 0,1
  Warning! GUS DMA not selected

What's the deal with the warning message?

I can get sound, though the volume is low and not settable.  It loops
away from the start.  When you play something the process hangs forever
while the audio plays over and over.

If you play something, kill it (to stop the looping), and then play
something shorter the looping includes the end of the longer item.
The buffer seems to expand with the size of the largest file played.
This probably explains why the system crashes if you play something
fairly long.

When I try to set `vol' with `mixer' I get:

	WRITE_MIXER: Invalid argument

Is there a way to make this stuff work?  I've tried it on a few different
FBSD releases now with similar results.

Is there some other card that actually works well with FBSD?  I also
tried a SoundBlaster 16, with other funky problems (too many ports
all over the place, low quality, etc.)

Will sound ever become a fully supported feature of FreeBSD?

Thanks

Richard