Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 2020 06:52:42 +0000
From:      Wei Hu <weh@microsoft.com>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   MSR accesses that slows down the hypervisor/host

Hello,

There are couple AMD processor related MSRs which are being accessed in Fre=
eBSD.=20

#define MSR_AMDK8_IPM           0xc0010055
#define MSR_LS_CFG      0xc0011020

We are seeing a lot of CPU time being spent in the host (Hyper-V) in handli=
ng traps when accessing these MSRs. Especially the first MRS is frequently =
being accessed in cpu_idle() so the performance impact to host is significa=
nt.

We noted that Linux made some code changes in the 4.10 kernel to access the=
 first MSR much less frequently. So we are wondering if there are similar c=
hanges in FreeBSD that might be in the plan. Microsoft Hyper-V team is also=
 planning some work to speed up the accesses to these MSRs. However any sug=
gestions or plan to improve in the FreeBSD guest are welcome.

Thanks,
Wei