Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 09:28:14 +0100
From:      Chris Morley <Chris.Morley@team17.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD from CD

Hi,

I recently got FreeBSD(2.1.5) from Walnut creek CDs. I seem to be having
some trouble installing it on my pentium.

I have 3 IDE disks, wd0 is a 2Gb seagate drive with DOS on.
wd1&2 are 400Mb ish drives.

I want to put FreeBSD on either or both of these drives. I followed the
installation instructions in the book and created the partitions
required and installed FreeBSD with the X-User distribution set. I also
selected the use of the booteasy boot manager so I could choose DOS or
BSD.

When I rebooted, it did not ask me which OS to use.

I also tried installing Booteasy on wd0 and BSD on wd2 (and later on 1)
but at bootup it only let me select DOS.

Can I not boot BSD from another drive?
Can I get/write a boot manager which will boot from a different drive?
If not, is there a program which I can run from DOS which boots the
kernel from the other drive, similar to the one on the distribution CD?

Thanks,

--
Chris

Team17 Software Limited