Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:50:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, FreeBSD-Alpha <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: network cards

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Mike Smith wrote:
> > > I had just finished getting what I thought was the final piece of my new
> > > alpha system, when I realized I don't have a network card.  I don't know
> > > if there are any compatibility problems with network cards and my
> > > PC164SX motherboard ... could someone recommend a good 10BaseT network
> > > card that works on that system?
> > >
> > > I like to avoid the cheapest, and for this, I don't need the best ...
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > I'd suggest eg. a Cnet Pro-110, which is based on the Asix chipset.
> > Most of Bill Paul's drivers work on the Alpha, and most of the cards
> > they support are in the $20-40 range.
>
> Watch out for the Intel Ether Express Pro 100's.  Although the driver is
> listed as working, it doesn't (and they're not particularly cheap either).
> (it's the old virtual/physical problem where rman_get_virtual() returns a
> physical address rather than the mapping window and the kernel page faults)

Thanks, Peter, I think I'll jump on Mike's suggestion.

David O'Brien was amusing me by telling me about the "high fever"s run
by his, yours, and one other's (I don't remember whose) Multias, dying
when a simple "make -j 3 world" was tried.  Stuff like that, I think,
really oughta get out on the lists more, just to hammer home to folks
that they oughta not try to get the rock-bottom cheapest platform, when
going to the Alpha.  They wouldn't try running FreeBSD/Intel on a 386sx,
but they're happy to buy those Multias.

After hearing that, I felt more justified by my going nuts on fans for
my PC164SX system.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |