Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:55:44 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   (newer ?) Ext2fs problem in FreeBSD-3.4

I don't know if this has been discussed before in the mailing list, but

I have FreeBSD and Linux on the same machine.  The whole of Linux is in an
extended partition, and it was only recently that I figured out one could
access them using wd0s5 (in my case) and upwards.  However, after mounting
this ext2fs partition (mount -t ext2fs /dev/wd0s5 /mnt), and then cd-ing
to it, and 'ls -al', the whole machine crashed.  I had a whole lot of
kernel messages coming up on screen (in bold), and then had to reboot the
machine in 15 seconds.

I tried to save the messages to some file using syslogd, but failed.  If
anybody has an idea how I could save messages in such situations, it would
be helpful, and I could also send a copy of the errors.

Anyways, I had thought that this was some problem with the way I mounted
the partition, but later on (today) I figured out that I could mount that
partition (ext2fs) from OpenBSD, and also that I could mount a floppy
which had an ext2fs file-system on it.  The only difference that I can
think of between the floppy ext2fs and the hard-disk ext2fs is that the
floppy one is the older ext2fs version, while the hard-disk one has the
newer (sparse) ext2fs.  (And since OpenBSD 2.7 is a more later release, it
supports sparse ext2fs also.)

Is there any thing I can do abt it.  As in, some way I can patch/modify
FreeBSD-3.4 to understand the newer ext2fs (ofcourse, if that *is* the
problem ;). Or is the problem something else ?

TIA.
Rakhesh