Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 11:22:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        chas <panda@peace.com.my>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to use FBSD as a proxy between firewall and LAN. (or  shouldn't I ?)

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, chas wrote:
> Trying to implement a firewall/network :
>
>                                 |<--> Server Farm A
>                                 |<--> Server Farm B
> [INet]<--> Router <--> Firewall |
>                                 |<--> FBSD Proxy <-- LAN
>                                 |<--> free
>
> The firewall is on a Sun box with a quad-NIC using commercial
> firewall software. The LAN has over 100 PCs.
>
> Does it make sense to use a FreeBSD box as I have shown
> above to act as a Proxy (and also router) between the LAN
> and the Firewall ? Does this network layout make sense or
> have I lost the plot ? (not that I really understood it in
> the first place).

Sure.  You need to turn on IPFW in the kernel and build a new kernel
(see the Handbok) and run natd on the NIC connected to the Sun.
Also run a DHPC server on the FreeBSD box to assign all those PCs
their RFC1918 addresses.  (both Wide and ISC dhcp's are in ports)

In /etc/rc.conf set
firewall_type="OPEN"
gateway="YES"

You can tighten up the firewall later if desired.

> To set up the FreeBSD proxy above, will it really require
> static routes for all the PCs between the LAN and the Firewall ?

No

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, a California corporation        dan@dpcsys.com