Date:      Mon, 01 Mar 1999 17:33:43 -0600
From:      Carol Deihl <carol@tinker.com>
To:        Ryan Mooney <ryan@pcslink.com>
Cc:        Andy Kohtz <andrew@kohtz.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: usernames longer than 8 characters

Ryan Mooney wrote:
> > Is the 'hash'
> > method any different than the 'dbm' format that I'm used to setting up on
> > Solaris?  If so, are there any suggestions or warnings before I dive in?
>
> Not really, you just call makemap with a different option (hash instead
> of dbm).  Oh and you have to make sure your sendmail.cf file references
> hash instead of dbm (like: Kvirthost hash /etc/sendmail/virthost or
> whatever).  The M4 macro's allow you to specify the type like:
>   FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash /etc/virtusertable')dnl

I'm not familiar with the version on Solaris, but there *is* a
difference
in the various dbm things on FBSD. I forget some of the details,
but the original popper patches at westnet used the "old" style,
which even have different subroutine names. The "new" style supports
several kinds of database formats, hash being one of them. I think
the FBSD port of sendmail out-of-the-box has only support for
the "new" style, so that's why I changed specifically to the "hash"
in my version of the popper patches. The sendmail makemap program
didn't seem to understand "-dbm" as an option - although this was
based on stuff I did about 3 years ago, and things might have
changed since then :-)

Ditto on Ryan's other comments, tho.

Carol
--
Carol Deihl - carol@tinker.com
Shrier and Deihl - Unix Network Admin and Internet Software Development