Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2015 09:34:50 -0500
From:      Dan Langille <dlangille@sourcefire.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What's the latest release from freebsd-update?

I want to write a check to let us know if a given server is on the latest
version.

For example, how can I determine that FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p5 is the latest
and greatest?

I could run freebsd-update and see what comes back, but that's not ideal
for a Nagios check.

This output seems promising:

$ sysctl kern.version
kern.version: FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p5 #0: Mon Nov  3 22:38:58 UTC 2014
    root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

Let's assume we use that as the check for the host.

What do we compare it to?  Where can I find out that 9.3-RELEASE-p6 is
available?

--
Dan Langille
Infrastructure & Operations