Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:06:21 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial vs built in firewall capabilities of FreeBSD

At 09:28 AM 4/24/97 -0700, Jim Shankland wrote:
>Part of what you're buying in a commercial firewall is expertise:
>packaged implicitly in the product, ongoing support services, and
>in some cases, bundled consulting services with firewall setup.
>
>Yes, you can roll a pretty good firewall with FreeBSD, socksv5,
>ssh, etc.  It just takes some expertise and time.  Whether you're
>better off spending that (assuming you have it), or spending the
>money for a commercial product, is purely a business decision.

Thanks for the response. Yes, this is the way my boss and I have looked at
it. We decided to investigate the project as much as possible ourselves,
because we see this as a potentially new market for us to get into... i.e.
low cost security solutions to our customers.  For example, we have several
non-profit organizations who would like to have some firewalling solutions,
but do not have a great deal of money to spend.. So far, FreeBSD+ SKIP to
do VPN seems like an enticing solution for *some* situations...  We have
setup many FreeBSD boxes and can do it quite quickly from scratch now, so
the skill set is already there...  To go to a new dedicated customer and
say "look, we can give you a unit that will act as your gateway, provide
decent security for your LAN for basically the cost of the hardware, plus
our consulting fee, or you can go with one of these commercial products for
$XXX, and will provide you with YYY features that the other solution wont
give you", gives us that much more flexibility...

I guess what I am really after in asking these questions is a response like
"FreeBSD + its security software ?  No way! You cant protect against XXXXX
attacks... Its crucial!"  But so far, I havent seen any show stoppers...

One thing I have found somewhat suprising in this research project is the
reaction to Microsoft's PPTP RFC, or to be more precise, the lack of
reaction to it.  I did a search through Dejanews (for those of you who
havent tried it, check out http://www.dejanews.com), and found absolutely
no mention of in in the FreeBSD mailing lists, or in the newsgroups, and
hardly any mention of it even in comp.unix*... Is it because its a
Microsoft initiative ?

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *