Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:08:34 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>(by way of Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>), freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spontaneous crashes with STABLE

On Thursday 18 October 2001 08:58, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> The last week I have had several spontaneous crashes. So I've followed some
> advice (compiling the kernel with 'makeoptions DEBUG=-g' and activating
> savecore).
>
> Now, I've got some core-images, but since I'm not a programmer I really
> don't know what to do with them. Tried following some of the steps outlined
> in developers-handbook but I just got some errors, eg.:
>
> root:/sys/compile/MEKANIX$ gdb -k
> GNU gdb 4.18
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions. Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd".
> (kgdb) symbol-file kernel.debug
> kernel.debug: No such file or directory.

The problem here appears to be that you're not in the right directory to find kernel.debug,
or that kernel.debug doesn't exist.  Without it, gdb won't really know what to do with the
the other files.
Verify that you have a kernel.debug.  If you do, give the full path when you enter
"symbol-file" and make sure it finds it.  If you don't have a kernel.debug, rebuild a
debugging kernel and try again.  If the system version and kernel config file are the
same as the running kernel, you won't have to wait for another crash, but can use
the existing crash dump files.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services