Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 1995 16:54:41 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: VLB Disk Controllers

>> Adaptec, Buslogic. Any possitive or negative comments on the drivers would
>> be welcome.
>>

>I have had problems with vlb cards running above 33 MHZ.  The effect appears
>like the loss of interrupts or extreme interrupt latency.  I have seen this
>especially bad on amd 486dx2/80 (vlb clk 40mhz) and 486dx2/100 (vlb clk 50mhz).
>I suspect the problem would exist on 486dx50 as well.
>
>The effect seems to be very pronounced on vlb disk controller cards with
>other i/o on board.

One big issue with VLB is that you have to know how to tune the bus. Most
MBs have tuning parameters to overcome these problems.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25