Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:30:24 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        vladimir@urtext.ru
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.rs>
Subject:   Re: recommendations for laptop and desktop

Vladimir Zorin wrote:

> >> Been there. Seen that. Obsolete.
> >> My very idea would be to have recent models in some kind
> >> of wiki. I believe that at least hundred guys on the list
> >> could post quality articles on the subject regarding lap-
> >> tops they regurarly use.

> > recommendations?"
> >>
> >> Mostly older stuff recommended. Hard to find or I dislike
> >> what I see on the review for particular model.
> >> Thank you for answering my question.
> >>
> >>                              Zoran
> >
> > I agree that a wiki would be ideal, but it would require active management.
> > That's the real issue.
> >
> > It's also the reason wiki.FreeBSD.org would not be practical. I might be
> > able to admin such a wiki, but I have no place to put it.  But I'm retired,
> > so I should have time.
>
> I would gladly host such a wiki on my freebsd vds. It would be perfect
> though if it is not a php/perl/python/ruby-driven wiki =)
> But I suspect there are not that many fans of lua/ansi c solutions, so
> I guess I can tolerate php in a separate jail =)
>
> Best regards, Vladimir Zorin

Sounds like Vladimir's further ahead, re hosting in a jail, so Kevin
O, if you want to go ahead, sounds like Vladimitr can get you up
faster than I can.

I would suggest though, that whoever does it, we should try to
co-operate with the predecessor compatibility lists such as
http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/ Probably all they really need
adding is some "list by date last seen on sale in shops" function,
+ maybe some wiki function.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.