Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:10:39 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "Francis Percival C. Favoreal" <dune@cats.edu.ph>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI problem

"Francis Percival C. Favoreal" wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Doug White wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Francis Percival C. Favoreal wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone seen this error before?
> > >
> > > (da0:ncr0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
> > >
> > > This has happened to me several times already. I am running FreeBSD
> > > 3.1-RELEASE, P-350, 64MB RAM, Seagate ST36530W 6GB.
> > >
> > > Whenever this happens, I noticed that the SCSI HD suddenly went silent,
> > > like its motor stopped spinning. Usually I tried to reboot to remedy the
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Also, when I switch off the server, and switch it back on after a few
> > > minutes, the server never boots anymore because the SCSI HD was not
> > > detected. When this happens, I noticed also that the SCSI HD is silent,
> > > like its motor is not spinning.
> >
> > I think your disk is dying.  If they won't spin up on boot and won't
> > probe, the internal diagnostics are failing.
> >

> BTW, the SCSI disk is brand new, an ST36530W (6.5GB). We finally found out
> where the problem was by elimination. We tried changing the SCSI disk with
> the same model, brand new. The same thing happens too. However, when we
> replaced the motherboard with the same model, brand new, the problem went
> away. The motherboard is a T440BX server board, with builtin SCSI
> controller. Now the FreeBSD box is running smoothly. We could not say that
> the entire motherboard was defective, we believe it was the SCSI builtin
> controller that was busted.

Just a thought but this couldn't be caused by (SCSI) BIOS settings
could it? I only ask because I've just added a second SCSI HD to my
system and it exhibits similar behaviour, although it never fails to
start.

The original disk is an IBM Ultrastar 2ES U/W and that spins up as
soon as the power is switched on but the new disk, IBM Ultrastar 9ES
U/W, doesn't spin up until the SCSI controller probes it (I thought
I'd forgotten to connect the power lead the first time I powered up
after installing it).

The SCSI card is a Diamond Fireport (NCR/Symbios 53c875 chip). It
seems strange that one disk spins up immediately and the other waits
until it's probed, but since it always spins up and works without
problems I've never bothered investigating further.