Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 08:31:33 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Dr R.D. Gidden" <freebsdq@theleys.cambs.sch.uk>
Cc:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adding a new SCSI disk

On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 05:02:45PM +0100, Dr R.D. Gidden wrote:
> Following Greg Lehey's book 'Complete FreeBSD',
> I've
>    scsiformat sd2
> (got sd0 and sd1 already)

That's a pretty brief summary of what took me 14 pages to describe.
Do you have the errata/addenda?  It's on
ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/cfbsd/errata.gz.  There are some significant
differences there.

After looking at that, you can try one of two approaches:

1.  Try again, if necessary after taking account of the addenda.  If
    you still have trouble, give a few more details about how you set
    up the disk.

2.  Grab ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/cfbsd/13-disks.ps.gz, print it out,
    and try the sysinstall approach.  Tell me if you have any
    problems, or even if you succeed.

> It's now squawking about
>    invalid primary partition table
> and
>    floating point exception fdisk /dev/rsd2
> and
>    pid 7241 (fdisk), uid 0: exited on signal 8
>
> and I can't get any other response.

Strange.  I've never seen this before, but I'd need more details to
suggest a solution.

Greg