Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 15:50:48 -0700 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Tomer Weller <spud@i.am>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem Problems

> Hi
>     im using a mode/sound card on com1, and well, /dev/cuaa0 is not working for some reason, what can i possibly do ?
> (please dont tell me to live without sound&modem or go buy my self a new 1)

	Unluckily, with Modem/Sound card combinations each manufacturer
does some 'tricky' stuff to make it work. 9 times out of 10 they end up
breaking other things unintentionally, then write special drivers to make
the card work under Windows.
	Some things I'd try first though is make sure Com1 isn't being
used by anything else, unlikely since you've probally got a Packard Bell
system, but it needs to be checked anyways. Second thing, if by some
miracle you have jumpers on the card, change the Com Port to 2 or 3.
	Other then that, go get a new modem and a cheap $20 sound card,
you'll be 1000 times better off (and will get better sound to boot! :)

					Rick