Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 05:26:44 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        koshy@india.hp.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lmbench IDE anomaly

>> The performance degradation per process is around 2x which is to be expected.
>> The overall throughput is around the same as the single benchmark case.
>>
>> However when the same exercise is repeated with the IDE disk:
>> Here we see a 8x degradation per process; 4x in terms of total throughput.

Using dd instead of lmdd, I get a 26x degradation per process for both SCSI
and IDE (SCSI: P133, ncr'810, Quantum Grand Prix; speed reduced from 2048K/s
to 78K/s; IDE: 486/33, slow Samsung drive; speed reduced from 682K/s to
26K/s)

>That's about right.  The SCSI disk gets the chance to sort the I/O to suit
>itself, optimising its performance.  The IDE disk only gets to look at one
>transaction at a time, so it's at the mercy of the disksorting code in
>the operating system.  I don't know that FreeBSD's disksort stuff is
>terribly wonderful, but I'd happily stand corrected.

disksort() is a no-op for this test because the queue length is always 1.
Neither disk gets much chance to sort the i/o.  The speed depends on the
caching strategy and size of the cache.  The i/o pattern apparently
completely defeats read-ahead and/or track buffering for both my drives.

On another of my drives (SCSI, 486DX2/66, slow Toshiba drive) the
degradation was only 2x (from 208K/sec to 104K/sec).  This doesn't mean
much since the drive is so slow for the small 1k block size to begin with
(it needs a block size of 16K to approach the platter speed).  OTOH, a
larger block size would be more likely to defeat the drive's caching.

Bruce