Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 1995 23:10:16 +0200
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   950622-SNAP installation woes

Today I did my first 2.0.5 installation again in some weeks of 'abstinence'
and got some pitfall right away:

DecPC 466D2, Quantum 525 MB, 20MB ISA.

The installation script warned me that I had a read-only root device
and that it may not find some /dev entries later.

I chose NFS installation and gave the following NFS string:

100.0.0.119:/home/2.0.5-950622-SNAP      (I'm not on a regular network
                                          with this box)

and after saying I had no name server and gateway the script choked
when saying that mount on 100.0.0.119:/home/2.0.5-950622-SNAP  /nfs
could not be found, where I don't know whether it was /nfs that could
not be created or wasn't there or if it was the host/path that could
not be found.

I'm trying now already for four ours to get a kernel on that damn box
but with these hyperintelligent scripts - your work in all honors, Jordan -
it's nearly impossible to do an enforced installation if something
strange occurs. It's not even possible to shell out at this point
and do the ftp or mount manually.

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.0-BUILT-19950701 FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-