Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:02:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        sriva@alice.it (Stefano Riva)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help Diagnosing cron Death

Stefano Riva wrote,
> At 09.56 19/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
>   It seems to be an internal problem. Nothing else died that time? What
> version of FreeBSD are you using? Is there some "non-standard" daemon
> running on the system?

D'oh! Twice I've forgotten to give the version,

% uname -a
FreeBSD newmail.<snip> 2.2.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE #1: Tue Dec 22 15:29:51 EST 1998     postman@newmail.<snip>:/usr/src/sys/compile/NEWMAIL  i386

No, nothing too exotic that I can think of. It runs NFS, server and
client (but nothing is mounted on it, just serving). inetd runs the
usual suspects plus POP and IMAP. And there is sendmail of course. The
most exotic one is probably the SSH daemon. All were compiled on the
machine from the ports.

/var/log/messages reports no trouble from other daemons or the
kernel. The only other events in the messages for a week before and
all the time since are su's. Looking back through the messages while
I'm there and I see absolutely no unexplained behavior for the machine
since installation of the OS was completed (in early Nov).