Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 23:11:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, blkirk@float.eli.net, jdn@acp.qiv.com, tlambert@primenet.com, sbabkin@dcn.att.com, karl@mcs.net
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

As Simon Shapiro wrote...

> On 04-Mar-98 Wilko Bulte wrote:

> >> The difficulty is in having FreeBSD capable of producing this traffic on
> >> small blocks (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/something bs=64k is NOT typical
> >> application).
> >
> > Build a datawarehouse and do full-table reads etc. For dataprocessing etc
> > you will never come near.
>
> Sure.  These you make with 256KB stripes or larger, and turn read-ahead on.
> BTW, these applications should enjoy Super-Ultra-Wide-ExtraWide SCSI.

Or a FibreChannel array. Will be playing with that for the rest of the week.
I'm pretty curious to see how that behaves.

> > We've seen host adapters becoming saturated before the RAIDbox. This is
> > of course using an artificial benchmark that produces 100% cache hits on
> > the RAIDbox' cache.
>
> Yup.  I think you will enjoy the new generation DPT controllers.  Even as a
> passthrough to your RAID box.

I don't know if DPT will be part of our product offering. I play with what
they throw at me ;-) The FC array is cute so I don't complain.

> > That could be possible, highly depends on the adapter & driver. But for
> > single stream a well written driver & good card will probably not be the
> > bottleneck.
>
> The bottleneck is not in the driver, but most likely in the SCSI sequencer.
> I suspect something in the kernel is also holding things down.  A clue can
> be had in the drop in I/O rate when you switch from UP to SMP.  I dropped
> the ball on tracking these down but will pick it up soon.  SMP is twice as
> slow as UP in these tests.

Somebody/something locking resources? But that is definetely worth investigating
for SMP users.

Wilko (who has plenty of CPUs, but all in the own mainboard/box)
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --