Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:15:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 5000e vs. Chembook 3015A vs. Compal N38W2 (N30

John Baldwin writes:
| problem for you.  If you want to run -current, then you can run ACPI on
| the 5000e to get some things like battery status and temperature reporting
| (with some patches I hope to commit soon) and also things like the power
| button turning the machine off after performing a clean shutdown, etc.

Okay I got a question, how do you read the temperature and stuff like
that?  Is there a userland program that does this?  I see some sysctl
stuff:
  m201% sysctl -a | grep -i acpi
  debug.acpi_debug_layer: 0
  debug.acpi_debug_level: 0
  hw.acpi.power_button_state: S4B
  hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
  hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S1
  m201%

and man -k acpi only list:
  m201% man -k acpi
  acpiconf(8) - control ACPI power management
  acpidump(8)              - dump ACPI tables
  m201%

of which neither as far as I can tell displays this info.  Is there
a generic program to display and deal with ACPI stuff?  I guess I could
write a specific application to read this stuff but I thought there
would be userland tools like apm that would just dump things out.

Confused,

Doug (ACPI Challenged) A.