Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2012 07:21:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Stephen Cook <sclists@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   List flames (was Re: Why Clang)

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Stephen Cook wrote:

> I'm a relative newcomer. Are the FreeBSD mailing lists always this flame-y? I
> realize that this particular post might be trolling / satire, but others in
> the thread (and other unrelated threads recently) are a FAR CRY from the
> technical support and discussion I expected. I thought I'd see an occasional
> RTFM, maybe a random "WinBlows" here and there... but this type of thing just
> diminished everyone involved.

No, this is unusual.  But also remember that most of these lists are not
just unmoderated but open to posting without subscription.  Then it
becomes kind of amazing at how little flaming and trolling there is.
That's not an accident, the admins work hard to limit abuse.

As an alternate, consider the forums (http://forums.freebsd.org/), which
are moderated.