Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:35:12 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, dan@math.berkeley.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time for some new man pages

> I'd really be interested in a survey about this change.  I'm willing to
> bet that to most a SCSI disk is simply that a *S*CSI *D*isk.  FreeBSD has
> now added yet one more incompatibility (or if you prefer, yet something
> different, aka NIH) to the Unix world.
>
> What ever happened to the policy of least supprise?

For what it's worth, I agree with you.  It was an ill-advised change,
on par with the compat slice debacle and several other ill-advised
changes in the past, and a lot of people apparently agree on this.
I've also argued myself blue in the face with Justin over this one and
he's just 100% sold on this change as somehow necessary and good so
there's not much profit in arguing with him further.  I do not agree,
but Justin's the architect and it doesn't appear that changing his
mind is an option at this point.

- Jordan