Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 23:43:58 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Ivaylo Kostadinov <ivaylo@bgbio.aubg.bg>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I  get warned about unsuccessful root login attemtps

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997,  Stanley.Hopcroft@aipo.gov.au wrote:

>      Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
>      I am writing to ask how FreeBSD may alert me to unsuccessful root
>      login attempts (as distinct from a successful login) ?

I run a FreeBSD 2.2.2 machine, and it DOES log both successful and
unsuccesfull root login attempts:

Oct  8 23:27:18 bgbio login: login on ttyv0 as root
Oct  8 23:27:18 bgbio login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyv0
Oct  8 23:27:41 bgbio telnetd[3460]: connect from root@bgbio.aubg.bg
Oct  8 23:27:43 bgbio login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE FROM bgbio.aubg.bg
Oct  8 23:27:43 bgbio login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE FROM bgbio.aubg.bg, root

"login" has the code for logging implemented in itself.
Your problem might be with the configuration of your syslogd -
/etc/syslog.conf , which might not be set to log the facility or the level
at which "login" logs.

Anyway, I do not think that it is a good policy root logins to be allowed
from anywhere but the console.