Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 96 21:46:16 +0300
From:      Oleg N Panashchenko <helg@tav.kiev.ua>
To:        tam@cd.iidpwr.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Digiboard

>        I am having a very interesting situation. The baud rate on my old
>   DigiBoard, which utilizes 16450 chips, can be as high as 115200. But the
>   highest baud rate on my new DigiBoard PC/8e is only 57600.

I have reports from people, who successfully use Digiboard PC/Xe at 115200.

Please be more specific: what experiment resuled in this conclusion?
The most correct experiment in my mind is the following:

1. Plug modem to COM1 (usual 16450) and say:
$ cu -l /dev/cuaa1 -s 115200
ATZ
and see
OK

2. Plug modem to the first port of Digiboard and see something different
$ cu -l /dev/cuaD00 -s 115200

Note that 115200 is not supported by low-speed MODEMS.

Usually
v34    (28800) modems are capable to talk with COM port at speed <=115200
v32bis (14400) modems                                            <=57600
v22bis (2400)  modems                                            <=9600

So, look at your modem manual to verify that it can talk at 115200.

>   I understand
>   the PC/8e is "intelligent." So I assume the baud rate should be higher
>   too. Is that assumption correct? By the way, could you tell me what is
>   the differnece between PC/8e and old DigiBoard? What does "intelligent"
>   refer to?

Main benefit of intelligent Digi is that it does not load your main CPU
as much, as board with many 16450 chips. As a result, your box can handle
more incoming connections simultaneously at higher speeds. To receive a byte
from 16450 chip you need to service one interrupt request. Typical
computer can handle about 10K serial interrups per second = 80000 bps total -
on all ports (hackers, please, correct me if I'm wrong).

At the other side, with intelligent Digi data is buffered in the board
memory (several K bytes per channel), so they can be transferred to PC memory
much more efficiently - it is no problem to serve 16 or even more high speed
modems with this board.

>        What is the maximum baud rate on PC/8e?

115200

>   Tony Tam

>   | Tony Tam                     |  Imperial Irrigation District           |
>   | Imperial Irrigation District |  333 E. Barioni Blvd.                   |
>   | email: tam@cd.iidpwr.com     |  P.O. BOX 937                           |
>   |   tel: (619) 339 9454        |  Imperial, CA 92251                     |
>   |   fax: (619) 339 9189        |  U.S.A.                                 |

Oleg