Date:      Fri, 23 May 2008 01:17:04 +0200
From:      "Danny Pansters" <danny@ricin.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        Fritz Katz <frtzkatz@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: TV-Tuner cards ( NTSC / PAL / SECAM ) - which works best?

On Thursday 22 May 2008 22:31:07 Fritz Katz wrote:
> Is there a TV-Tuner card (that works under FreeBSD!)
> which can tune to RF-input with any of the world's TV
> standards?
>
> Or, do I need to open up my PC and switch out the card
> when I travel to Europe/USSR/USA/Japan/...
>
> Please post your success and failure stories about
> TV-Tuner cards here!
>
> While we're at it, has anyone been able to get any of
> the USB TV tuners working with FreeBSD?
>
> ------------------
>
> I'll go first with a failure story.
>
> I bought a Zogis "Real Angel 220 PCI Analog TV Tuner"
> http://www.zogis.com/main_products_series_tv_tuner_PCI_RA220.htm
>
> The box claims it supports PAL-BG/DK/I/M/N, NTSC,
> SECAM
>
> However, I peeled-back the sticker covering the
> TV-tuner canister on the board and discovered the part
> number "TNF 5535-MF" which appears to be an NTSC-only
> part.
>
> Using KBTV ( http://freebsd.ricin.com/kbtv/ ) the
> composite input works OK. However when I connect an
> antenna and attempt a channel scan -- the program
> hangs.

Can you try kbtv2 (http://freebsd.ricin.com/kbtv2)? It likely gives the same
result, because this tuner is unknown to me but kbtv2 is what you should test
against (kbtv1 is not developed anymore). Try MK3 tuner.

Please note that for the 1.95 (RC2) release I forgot to 'make makesum' in the
ports' directories, so you'll have to do that yourself, sorry.

Dan