Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 16:50:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      "nate" <freebsd@aphroland.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: port 1024 and system BIND

<quote who="Jeff Shevlen">
> :
> : Bind is using udp port 1024 to ask other name servers questions. You
> can
> : change this behavior with query-source in named.conf.
> :
>
> I'm hoping this can help out with some trouble I've been having with DNS.
>  Three questions:
>
> 1. Is 1024 the port used for zone transfers?
> 2. Are there any other ports that BIND uses (outside of 53)?
> 3. If so, what activities happen on what ports?

By default I believe BIND uses a random port above 1024 for everything,
if you have a restrictive firewall you can change this behavior in
named.conf:

query-source address * port 53;

may be the directive. i think its to reduce BIND's dependence on running
as uid root. if you force it to use port 53 for everything you may not
be able to run it as non root (I haven't tried forcing it to 53)

nate