Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:22:33 +0100
From:      Lars Koeller <Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
To:        Dan Riley <daniel@vailsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de
Subject:   Re: colorls working with xterm!

----------

Hello!

 > Lars,
 >
 > What configuration are you talking about here? I seem to have the same
 > problem but want to fix it the correct way.

Nice, that's the right attitude ;-))

I'm using the xdm for all my X11 login/start procedures, but that doesn't
matter now!

Every   time you  start  X  via  startx, the   server (/usr/X11R6/bin/X) is
executed by xinit! Startx calls xinit which uses the xinitrc file in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit (take a look at this file!). There is a variable
$sysresources, which specifies the system wide init file for X11 resources,
called  /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources.

Into this file you can put all the system wide, user independent resources,
especially the line

*customization: -color

Comment: This line leads to the use of the "Applicationname-color" files in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults, e.g. XTerm-color if they exist!

After this the "color initialization", is done when you use startx and as a
result the default xterm and colorls should work properly!

When you want to use xdm, it's the users problem to realize this
initialization in the correct way. A possible way is to use the following in
your .xsession file in the users home directory

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f $userresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $userresources
fi

if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $usermodmap
fi

# start your preferred X11 applications now

xterm -geometry +0+0 &
xterm -geometry +0+350 &
fvwm

Make the the .xsessionrc executable!

Now you have the correct initialization also for the xdm login procedure!
.Xresourced in your home directory can be used to set your preferred colors,
etc. for the applications you use.

Now your xterm should always be happy with colors!

Have fun

Lars
Internet:                                       |  Lars Koeller
  Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.Uni-Rostock.DE      |  Department of Physics
  ftp://odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de             |  University of Rostock
PGP-key:                                        |  Germany
  http://www.nic.surfnet.nl/pgp/pks-toplev.html |

----------- FreeBSD, what else? ---- http://www.freebsd.org ------------