Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 1997 23:45:23 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        "Bradley C. Spatz" <bcs@afn.org>, questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Natoma PPRO freezes with 2.1.6R.

>> I just unpacked a SuperMicro P6DNF (Natoma, 440FX) with 1 PPRO 180Mhz
>> CPU, 64M EDO RAM, 2940UW SCSI, SMC8432BTA ethernet.
>> I installed 2.1.6R and began to compile a custom kernel.  At various
>> stages -- either during "make depend" or "make" -- the system simply
>> freezes.  No errors on the console or in /var/log/messages.
>> Is there a problem with this motherboard or with Natoma/440FX boards?

>There isn't any generic Natoma problem, I have one working the SMP kernel,
>it's running fine, and I've had it nearly non-stop compiling for days.
>You have to go looking for other causes (bad memory, disk, motherboard,
>whatever).  I know, that's the last thing you wanted to hear ...

I have run NetBSD, and am running Windows NT, on a Natoma-based board
(Asus P6NP5), with a 200MHz CPU.  It has been running fine for months.

However, prior to getting the Asus, I went through two SuperMicro
P6DNF motherboards that were both defective.  They would crash all
over the place, and basically ate my NTFS drive, effectively
destroying everything on it.  I think SuperMicro quality control just
sucks.

I have heard stories from others, both who have had trouble, and who
have had no problems at all.

Try to get your motherboard replaced.  If the replacement doesn't
work, get an Asus or Tyan.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net