Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 22:22:50 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: i4b syncppp not talking with Ascend Max - followup

> As a followup to my previous mail, it seems like this trivial change
> should allow each isp interface (up to 15) to be assigned a unique
> address. I expect that this would eliminate the problems which we've
> been seeing when more than one interface has 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.1 assigned,
> since we could now use 0.0.0.0/[0.0.0.1 thru 0.0.0.15] instead, which
> should be enough for most users ;-)
[.....]

I don't really think this is the right way to go... these magic IP
numbers should be chosen by the user.....  I feel the same about
0.0.0.0 though.

In real life, there should be a way of UPing an interface without
assigning a local address, having ports bind to this ``to be
assigned'' address and then ultimately tidying everything up when
the interface is finally configured.  Until then, nothing can arrive
on the interface, but stuff can be routed to wherever the destination
address points.  The local address 0.0.0.0 is reasonable, but lots
more support is needed - it's non-trivial :-|

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>