Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 10:23:49 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftpd HELP !

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 11:14:24AM +0200, Gilbert wrote:

> Hi there I am trying to start the ftpd as I cannot see it when I do a
> "ps -ax" and I need to start it as I have to ftp into the server if
> anyone can help me.
>
> I am running FreeBSD 4.5 stable and I have set it up in the inetd.conf
> and the rc.conf.

Hi Gilbert,

If, as you stated in your previous post, you are starting ftpd from
inetd, then you will only see an ftpd process when someone connects to
the machine.  Inetd sets up a listening socket for each service you
configure in /etc/inetd.conf, but DOES NOT START the service until it
receives a request on a given port.

As long as you have the ftp line active in /etc/inetd.conf (i.e. remove
the "#" from the beginning of the line), and inetd is running, all should
be fine.

To determine if inetd is running, do this:

# ps axfr | grep inet[d]

If you see output like this:

   85  ??  Is     0:00.03 /usr/sbin/inetd -wW

then it is running.  The brackets prevent the grep process from showing
in the output.

If you need to restart inetd, this is probably the easiest way:

# kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

Of course, if you need anonymous ftp services, you will have to set
this up separately (/stand/sysinstall is your friend here...)

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \