Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 21:42:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard)
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), marko@FreeBSD.ORG (Mark Ovens), will@physics.purdue.edu (Will Andrews), advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stolen script?

> Seriously, if you're interested in doing something more substantive
> than making facial expressions then go on a witch-hunt for files which
> lack copyright notice and then either add such notice where it's
> obvious what the author meant or contact the author in those cases
> where it's not.  THAT would be an activity worthy of everyone's time
> and attention and Rod Grimes used to do this for us before he got too
> busy with his business.

According to the IBM lawyers who did due dilligence on all
of FreeBSD, prior to the Whistle acquisition, the src/COPYRIGHT
is all that's necessary and sufficient.

These guys are so paranoid that they were asking how much beer
would be necessary to buy Poul-Henning off, and how frequently
it must be provided, if it was required... we assured them that
Poul-Henning was (a) mortal, and (b) even if he could drink a
two lawyers under a table, there's only so much beer he could
drink before he passed out, which would limit his consumption
considerably; then we pointed out that they could always (c)
decide they didn't like the code, and trigger the escape clause.

These are the same people who made us remove squid prior to
sending the code to any customers, and redo all of our code
that assumed the use of a proxy cache (web site blocking, etc.)
for fear that squid infringed IBM patents, and that distribution
of GPL'ed code infringing an IBM patent would grant a blanket
license to use the patent to anyone who demanded the code from
IBM by way of an InterJet.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---