Date:      Fri, 3 Jun 2022 21:53:23 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Effect of using SATA 2.x and 3.x in zfs mirrored config

On 6/3/22 15:05, Dale Scott wrote:
> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "David Christensen" <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
>> To: "questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
>> Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2022 2:14:52 PM
>> Subject: Re: Effect of using SATA 2.x and 3.x in zfs mirrored config

> Thanks David for PCIe HBA suggestion.

YW.  If you are using that computer for heavy file work, an HBA might be
justified.  But if it is a storage server, the Gigabit port is already
the bottleneck.

> I like the idea of running benchmarks, but I'm lery of using up all the drives writes just to confirm all is ok (and the server has been in use for about 5 months now without issue albeit under relatively light disk load).

Five months?  I thought it was a new deployment.  If there were any
problems, I expect you would have seen them by now.

Your use-case is nowhere near as severe as:

On 6/2/22 14:07, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
 > I've even mirrored a laptop SSD with an iSCSI accessed zvol on a NAS -
 > it worked fine

So, we have at least two examples of ZFS tolerating mismatched device
performance.  That is good to know.

On 6/3/22 15:12, Dale Scott wrote:
 > I would need to learn much more about ZFS than I do now.

I own and recommend Michael W. Lucas books:

https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os#fmse

https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os#fmzfs

https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os#fmaz

David