Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2012 17:21:30 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why are you NOT using FreeBSD --> an example and a solution

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com> wrote=
:
> Hi,
>
> On 13 June 2012 0:20:16 Jason Hellenthal wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 09:53:04AM +0700, Erich wrote:
>> > Hi,
>>
>> Hi, Do we really need another one of these pointless rambling threads...
>
> if it helps to keep newcomers with FreeBSD.
>>

>> > I placed FreeBSD 10 on an empty disk and downloaded then the ports tre=
e from yesterday.

>> > http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU
>>
>> Read the FAQ ?
>
> The problem has not much to do with X.
>>
>> > Installation of Joe.
>> >
>> > Joe is always the first port I install as I am used to its commands. I=
 then download and compile other ports. As I am currently on a low-bandwidt=
h Internet connection, I try to keep the machine busy during the night with=
 large downloads.

>> Irrelevant
>
> It is as I only get errors like this when I install Joe first.
>>

>> > Parallel downloading and compilation of scribus and xorg-server
>> >

>> > How can we help newcomers to avoid this kind of problems?
>> >

>> By contributing to PRs and the correct mailing list with solutions,
>> outcomes, patches etc...
>>
> I am one step further now. As I am getting errors like this very often si=
nce I use this method =A0of installing ports I thought that there must be s=
omething basic what I am doing wrong.

> The cause of the problem happens much earlier. I used PCBSD to get FreeBS=
D onto the disk and did then a source upgrade. This went fine. But PCBSD in=
stalled many ports. I assumed now that after deleting them with 'pkg_delete=
 -a' there are all gone and installation can start.

> Of course, pkg_delete brings some error messages that it could not delete=
 this or that as the package list is wrong.

> After getting the errors mentioned here, I used to run 'make deinstall' i=
n the affected port. This solved the problem. I wonder now what the differe=
nce between pkg_delete and make deinstall is.

> As I mentioned before, I am getting these errors randomly since around 20=
07. I obviously never used make deinstall then.

> I will go back now to the FreeBSD ports installation.
>
>> Part of it made it to this thread under a wrong subject line but its a
>> start...

I strongly recommend that you install ports-mgmt/portmaster (if you
have not done so) and read the man page (YES! You really need to read
it all!) and note the example for re-installing all ports. It will
assure that all ports are cleanly re-installed.

I do admit that I don't delete /usr/local/*, but I do get rid of most
everything in it like bin, lib, include (especially important),
libexec, libdata, info, modules, man, and so on. (Almost abbreviated
"and so on" to "etc which would have triggered much hilarity and some
keyboard smashing!) I never install anything of my own in /usr/local,
but use /usr/opt for that.

If you do it as suggested, you should end up with a very clean, updated sys=
tem.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com