Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 1998 23:07:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        dosagie@ccac-art.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need your opinion

dosagie wrote:
> How  do rank your  technical support and help.  Is it easy to get some

Better than M$'s. Worse than the old days of IBM or Digital.

> help onsite and/or over the phone.

FreeBSD is a volunteer organization.  This mailing list is the
prime vehicle for support, and is without charge or limit. You
can probably get somebody to come on-site by dangling sufficient
money. I cannot imagine that this would be necessary in most
scenaria.

No phone support. I think there are some IRC channels, but I
don't live that way.

This list offers a depth of technical expertise not found in
most other PC support channels; in general, a properly phrased
question will be answered within a few hours, and will be followed
up, until you wallow in details.

> Is there a fee for set-up.  Can I set it up myself?  Is it easy

Feeless. Can set up yourself, if you have some "clues", and are
willing to read. It's easier than quantum mechanics, but harder
than washing a car.

Do you have /any/ Unix experience? Or any OS administration experience
other than M$ products? Unix does have a learning curve, and
along the curve are found a few books. If command-line computing
is new, this can be daunting. "You are in a maze of twistly
little passages, all alike." Have you programmed in the C language?
Is there a friendly Unix person at your site? Traditionally,
Unix is learned by tutoring and experiment.

Risk US$40 and buy the 2.2.7 CDROM set from walnut creek
(www.cdrom.com). Spend a little more and get a printed copy
of "The Complete FreeBSD" with the CDROM set.

Judging from your other post, I recommend setting up BSD on a
separate machine for your own use and study. This can be a very
minimal machine, say a cast-off 486 with >8MB memory and about a
1/2 GB hard-drive. Other flavors of Unix (NetBSD, OpenBSD) can
run on a variety of non-PeeCee/Intel hardware, if you have a spare
Sun or somesuch.

I see your email addr is in San Francisco/Oakland. This is,
of course, a hotbed of Unix activity. (BSD comes from Berkeley,
originally). There are user groups, all kinds of hackers, whatever
you seek, bookstores... (Computer Literacy, e.g.).

Try it.

Dave -- not affiliated with FreeBSD Inc
--
		 Bedford County, PA -- population 47,000