Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:54:16 +0200
From:      Karol Kwiatkowski <freebsd@orchid.homeunix.org>
To:        Daniel Bye <freebsd-questions@slightlystrange.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: illegal user root user failed login attempts

Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:22:34AM +0100, Peter Kropholler wrote:
>>Is there any way to actually record what passwords
>>the hackers' scripts are trying? I am just really intrigued
>>to know what they are thinking might work.
>

> No - ssh transport is encrypted even by the time passwords are involved.

But in this scenario it is me (sshd) who does encryption/decryption :)

As I understand it, there's no way to log password except hacking ssh
daemon source code.

This link might help:
http://seclists.org/lists/incidents/2005/Feb/0004.html

(I haven't tried it and patch is against OpenSSH 3.5p1 - be careful)

Regards,

Karol

--
Karol Kwiatkowski  <freebsd at orchid dot homeunix dot org>