Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 22:43:20 +0100
From:      peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl (Peter Korsten)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MIME applications for FreeBSD

John Birrell shared with us:

> We are prevented from reverse engineering by the licence for msword
> (I guess, since other MS products have that clause). MS is unlikely
> to publicly document Word file format.

Actually, someone (a student?) at the Technical University of Berlin
has described the general Microsoft OLE file format. He states that
this he isn't sure about the format and all variables, therefore
he calls it the "LAOLA" file format. (Check it out with Alta Vista!)
He also provides a library in Perl and a program to convert a MS
Word document into an ASCII file.

After some studying (the description wasn't clear in every point)
I've written a converter in C (but during office hours, so I can't
publish it). It shouldn't take you more than a couple of days,
probably less. Though the description talks about the Word 6 format,
I could easily read a Word 97 file. Really funny, 'cause Word 6
can't read Word 97 files.

The Microsoft file format has actually some good points. They put
a whole directory tree into it, it seems. Trouble is, they get *so*
big. That really is ridiculous. Some 40 characters for test purposes
were converted into 19 kB.

On another note, I once stumbled across a page with many file
formats. On "request" of Microsoft, the Word format was removed.
They really don't want anyone to know.

- Peter
--
Peter Korsten  |  peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl (UUCP)  |  peterk@IAEhv.nl