Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:22:59 -0400
From:      "NT Workstation User" <gdsntusr@globaldelsys.com>
To:        "Joe Gleason" <freebsd.list@bug.tasam.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Does freeBSD or any related freeBSDs support file larger than 2GB on 32bit x86 platforms

Ummm, I'm not sure whether tar files count.  See the 2GB file limit under
Linux comes from the maximum value of a 32bit signed integer.  Because the
file system calls use those 32bit integers a file's size is limited to 2GB,
at least if you want random access.  tar files generally aren't accessed in
a random access fashion, instead the file is treated as a byte stream.
Though I can't remember exactly, I think I created (> 2GB) tar files under
Linux once too.  I know SCO and other commercial OSes have addition file
functions for large files which use 64bit integers to overcome this
limitation.  As Linux lacks this feature I am considering giving freeBSD (or
any of the other BSDs) a try.  Of course this leaves me wondering whether to
try the pre-4.0 or the 3.2 version.