Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:01:53 +1100 (EST)
From:      proff@suburbia.net
To:        Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr (Pierre Beyssac)
Cc:        adam@homeport.org, Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr, giles@nemeton.com.au, lyndon@esys.ca, moke@fools.ecpnet.com, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail running non-root SUCCESS!

> sendmail could process the .forward as usual, but it would
> call the external prog mailer to ask it to run "/home/user/bin/myownstuff"
> as "user" and pipe the mail to it.
>
> Obviously it has to be more complicated than that or it would
> be a trivial new hole in the system (we can't rely on just checking
> that sendmail is calling us, that would not make us immune to attacks
> on sendmail itself).
>
> A solution might be to use a .db database as someone suggested,
> as an authenticated reference owned by root or mail, accessed
> by sendmail and the prog mailer.
>
> --
> Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr

Bork.

Instead of spending hours whipping and splinting a dying nag into
going an extra furlong, why not just put a little more shine on
the young filly called 'qmail'? I'm serious. If qmail doesn't handle
what you want (optimal-uucp-handling) then extend it. Because of
qmail's well-thought-out modularity and multiple division of powers,
this task is not hard and has virtually zero chance of introducing
security holes.

Cheers,
Julian.