Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:49:30 +0100
From:      RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade idea [Was: Re: Samba3 Port install fails due to OpenLDAP dependency version problem]

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 20:24, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua> (Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:15:17 +0300):
> > It still would be very nice to introduce a concept of "immediate
> > dependencies" to portupgrade tools (or maybe to ports/packages in
> > general ???) and have some options to work only on those.
> > Completely fictional example:
>
> portupgrade is the wrong place to do this. We "just" need to switch
> from implicit dependencies to explicit dependencies in the ports
> collection.

My understanding is that portupgrade gets its dependency information from the
the package database, which records full recursive dependencies (for the
benifit of pkg_add).

By contrast portmanger rebuilds only direct dependencies unless you specify
the "pristine" option. I presume that's because it gets its origin dependency
information from the port make targets, and uses the package database for
version information.

Given that Portmanger is already doing this, could you explain why you think
there is a need for the port system to change.