Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:11:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Two Junior Kernel Hacker tasks..

On 22-Jun-01 Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <XFMail.010622105201.jhb@FreeBSD.org> John Baldwin writes:
>: 2) Build kernels in sys/compile/${MACHINE_ARCH}/FOO rather than
>: sys/compile/FOO.
>
> Please use ${MACHINE}, not ${MACHINE_ARCH}.  That way I can build
> GENERIC for both i386 and pc98 at the same time without resorting to
> the GENERIC98 hack I use now.

Sure, sounds good.  Actually, with mjacob's suggestion, I would go with
sys/${MACHINE}/compile/FOO

>:    This is very helpful when you share the same sys/ tree across several
>:    machines with different architectures.  For example, I share the same
>:    sys/
>:    tree via NFS across almost all my testboxes including alpha and i386.
>:    Every
>:    time I want to compile GENERIC (I keep kernel.GENERIC up to date on my
>:    boxes)
>:    as part of an installworld I have to go manipulate symlinks (and/or
>:    shuffle
>:    directories around).  Fixing this would make life for the non-x86 centric
>:    types a bit easier, although there'll probably be a big bikeshed over
>:    changing the build directory.  *sigh*
>:
>
> I'd be up for doing this, so long as I got to choose where to build
> into :-)
>
>       sys/arch/${MACHINE}/compile/FOO
>
> but that would start the arch bikeshed.  I'd love to just do it.

I would tackle the sys/arch bikeshed on its own merits for now.  (BTW, I favor
sys/arch FWIW).  If we use the path I proposed above (sys/MACHINE/compile/FOO)
then if we do a sys/MACHINE -> sys/arch/MACHINE move we get the compile
directory move for free.