Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 21:45:07 -0700
From:      arch@hub.freebsd.org
To:        arch@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   (FWD) Re: nvi maintainer?

----- Forwarded message from Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com> -----
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 20:42:40 -0700

From: Keith Bostic <bostic@sleepycat.com>
Subject: Re: nvi maintainer?
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 18:51:15 -0400 (EDT)

> The bottom line for Sleepycat is we're happy to have any open source
> project use our software in any way they find useful.  Or, to put it
> more simply, if we get to use your stuff, you get to use our stuff.
> We're pretty much willing to sign on for any arrangement that follows
> that rule.

I think the principle concern here is that any arrangement "the
project" enters into be transferrable to its user base.  In other
words, it would do no good for the project to get redistribution
rights limited to the project but not to 3rd parties who want to
further redistribute FreeBSD bits.  Perhaps what you've been willing
to offer every 4-6 months takes care of this issue, but I'm sadly
unable to remember any of the text from the last time you did. :)

Perhaps we could revisit this One More Time in a little Keith to Core
pow-wow?  I don't think we're going to settle this in a
multi-hundred-way discussion, but we might in a smaller working group.

- Jordan

----- End forwarded message -----