Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 12:37:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu (Sujal Patel)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, terry@lambert.org, janus@freegate.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: USB + Re: Plug and Play naivety

> > Yes, I can confirm that the GUS PnP works with BIOS hints or with hardcoded
> > values in the kernel config file. Additionally, the GUS PnP fills in the
> > isa data structures so the rest of the kernel knows what the card
> > got set to.
>
> This is indeed how the PnP driver is evolving (but it's more generic then
> just one card).  The only problem will be that people without any PnP
> bios support, will have to specify *all* of the parameters that a PnP
> devices needs (this can become quite ugly for the user, especially if all
> they have a a config line in the kernel config).  It would be nice to
> have an easy configuration utility wouldn't it? Volunteers? :-)

It would be nicer if the PnP support would do the conflict resoloution
itself, actually.  There's no reason that the OS can't provide the same
services to the OS that a functioning BIOS should provide.

This would incidently recover from a BIOS screwup (which people have
talked about in this thread, but which I've never seen "in real life").

> > Since we are discussing PnP and thats good 8) what about support
> > for USB devices??
>
> That's no my department, I know nothing about USB devices... Terry? :-)

No USG hardware here, I'm afraid.  The Intel doc (in Acrobat format)
can be downloaded from the Intel WWW site.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.