Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 18:32:50 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Oct 20 snap install...

John Fieber stands accused of writing in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.91.951025104359.254C-100000@fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu>:
>* Can the boot prompt switches be document in a useful place, i.e. at
>  the boot prompt?

Not really - there isn't enough room in the boot blocks to do all the
stuff we want as it is, and definately not enough room to put
explanations of the various boot flags. This is one reason why a lot
of people are shouting for a 3 stage boot process.

>* Can I set things up so I can boot without typing -r every time?

Yes: recompile the bootblocks with BOOT_HD. This will (AFAIR) make the
boot blocks default to using sd0 instead of wd0, and pass the right
parameters to the kernel (so I don't think you need the -r flag
anymore). This is what I use here to get round the same problem.

>* Why does the kernel think it is booting from sd1 anyway?

What boot name did you use? If you use ``hd(1,a)/kernel'' you should
be OK. Can't remember - it's been so long since I needed to use it :-)

>Other comments:

>* The "progress bars" in sysinstall often overshoot the right border of
>  their box.

This is a problem with the cursor. It's never turned off, so it looks
like the progress bar is actually extending past the end of the box
when it's not. I even believe there is a PR for this, but no-one has
bothered to go into the guts of libdialog and fix it, esp. since 2.2
will use a completely different technology. (The problem has been
known about since early in the 2.0.5 release process, but we didn't
have any time to do anything about it then, and we were all shattered
afterwards :-) )

>* What exactly is the intended action of "Undo all" from the
>  slice and disklabel screens?

Pass. Never used them / looked at the code.

>* The difference between FTP active and FTP passive needs to be
>  documented on the media selection help screen.

I'm not so sure that we need to. If you need to use passive mode FTP
(as you are behind a packet filtering router (a.k.a. a firewall)), you
know to look for the option and select it. Otherwise you don't really
need to touch the setting.

Mebbe if you can come up with a short one or two line description then
Jordan will put it in. I can't come up with a short desc. of the
differences, but then again maybe I'm too close to the problem (and
know WAY too many details about the differences :-/ )

Gary