Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:49:32 -0400
From:      "ROTHENBERG, MICHAEL" <MROTHENBERG@exchange1.PRIA.com>
To:        'Mike Meyer' <mwm@mired.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: ethernet config (Was: Network trickles ......)

*scratch head*

ifconfig shows that you are in fact running 100baseTX full-duplex. What does
the product spec say for your hub thing? Can it run that? since you are on
autoselect and the card selected 100baseTX I would assume that your hub
thing can also do that and negotiated with the card. Which should be all you
need to have happen.

You indicate that you read the man page for xl. The device is dc. Are they
the same?

As to Alfred's comment that he has never gotten a hub to go full-duplex and
work correctly I'm not sure I can agree. Have to go home and double check,
but I think I might be running 100baseTX in full-duplex mode into my hub at
home form the FBSD gateway and from the Win boxes.... It would seem to me
that they should be able to make hubs that run full-duplex *shrug* But I
don't have a whole lot of exp in this particular area.

I also have a strange packet error thing I am trying to fix and perhaps this
full/half-duplex with hub thing is related... hehehe I'll test tonight.

I think the interesting thing is that you can swap OS's and get wildly
better performance. What does the ifconfig say on those others? Its got to
be a settings thing and not really related to the OS itself. Its probably an
'oh duh' answer that we will kick ourselves for when found. };)

-Michael