Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:24:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        krzysztof Strzelczyk <cs052279@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X on 4.4 laptop

is this your first laptop?

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, krzysztof Strzelczyk wrote:

> Hello,
>
>      I just bought a Toshiba 1805-S274.  I loaded FreeBSD 4.4 on it an
> am trying to get X running.  I was able to get it running with the
> smallest settings but it dosen't display full screen.

laptops have lcd's and not crt's and they work differently than crts.

a laptop lcd has fixed frequency that is set to match it's maximum display
resolution.

so a laptop that supports 1024x768 and you are only using 640x480, well
then you get the pathology that you describe.

watch win9X boot on anly laptop and you will see that the startup screen
(which is 640x480) only shows up in the middle of the screen.

> The display is in the middle of the screen and takes up at most only 50%
> of the monitor.  Which settings do I modify to get the picture to
> display on the full screen.

you have to configure X to work at the maximum resolution that your
laptop's display supports.

> Thanks You
> -Chris

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life