Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:10:27 +0100
From:      lupe@lupe-christoph.de (Lupe Christoph)
To:        sysadmin@wvths.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: openssh 3.5 connection timeout

On Sunday, 2003-03-16 at 22:26:19 -0500, sysadmin@wvths.com wrote:

> /etc/resolv.conf lists the valid DNS servers, which don't include
> 127.0.0.1 as I'm not running bind locally. The connection timeout
> disapears after satrting named locally.

If there is no /etc/resolv.conf, the resolver falls back to 127.0.0.1.

I'd bet (if I did any betting ;-) you have UsePrivilegeSeparation yes in
your /etc/ssh/sshd_config. When /etc/resolv.conf is opened, sshd is
already chrooted. Either set UsePrivilegeSeparation to no (not
recommended), put a /etc/resolve.conf in /var/empty (not too good), or
set ReverseMappingCheck to no (better). You may also want to run a local
caching named (best).

> Following Dag-Erling Smørgrav's advise on starting sshd in debugging mode,
> I don't get "debug1: res_init()". I'm currently using FreeBSD 4.7-p6 and
> openssh 3.5 built today(03/16). I'll upgrade to 4-STABLE today and post if
> anything changes ..

This is not a bug in OpenSSH, and has been discussed here before.

HTH,
Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| Big Misunderstandings #6398: The Titanic was not supposed to be        |