Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2012 21:31:16 -0400
From:      "Dieter BSD" <dieterbsd@engineer.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to turn my computer into a TV

[ Added multimedia@ as that is a more appropriate list than hackers ]

> I just moved into a very cramped apartment
> we are using a broadcast signal only [current US {NYC} standards]

You'll need to know if you have any NTSC (analog) stations you
care about or if everything is ATSC (digital).  Hopefully your
building has a good antenna system.

Next, select your tuner(s).  You have a choice of tuners that connect
via Ethernet (HDHomeRun, pros: small external box, doesn't need a slot,
works with any OS, better diagnostic info than others. cons: I've seen
a *lot* of postings with people saying that various other tuners get better
reception, digital only no NTSC analog), Firewire (if they are still
available?), USB, PCIe cards (needs a slot), PCI cards (needs a slot).
Some cards also do FM radio.

> 2. What ports to install

Depends on what tuner(s) you select.

Cards based on cx88 need multimedia/cx88 and multimedia/libtuner
http://corona.homeunix.net/cx88wiki
has a list of supported cards.

Some cards are supported by bktr(4).

Make sure the tuner you select is supported by FreeBSD.

Recording ATSC takes very little CPU.  Recording NTSC takes either
a lot of CPU or hardware compression.  Decoding either takes a lot of CPU
(or hardware decoding which AFAIK FreeBSD doesn't have). You can use
at(1) for automated recordings.  A full ATSC channel is 19.3 Mbps.
Some tuners allow filtering by PID, which saves disk space.

For playback you can use mplayer or any of several similar programs.