Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:35:51 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        msch@snafu.de
Cc:        Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@aeiou.pt>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: softupdates && write cache && ata tags topic

Matthias Schuendehuette <msch@snafu.de> writes:
> I consider it unnecessary to use WriteCache if TaggedQueuing is enabled
> and working.
> (The performace gain of WriteCache and TaggedQueuing is more or less the
> same, the combination of both adds less than 10% of performance and you
> shouldn't use Soft Updates any more)

Write cacheing is automatically enabled if tagged queueing is enabled
and supported by the disk, so I doubt you're seeing any improvement at
all.

    /* enable write caching if allowed and not default on device */
    if (ata_wc || (ata_tags && ad_tagsupported(adp))) {
        if (ata_command(atadev, ATA_C_SETFEATURES,
                        0, 0, ATA_C_F_ENAB_WCACHE, ATA_WAIT_INTR))
            ata_prtdev(atadev, "enabling write cache failed\n");
    }

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org