Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 16:20:19 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        drussell@saturn-tech.com
Cc:        alk@pobox.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony CDU926S

Doug Russell wrote...

> > > I have everything (as far as I can tell) configured properly, cdrecord
> > > -checkdrive, etc... finds the drive and reports it as a 926, using the 924
> > > driver, etc.  I can get through dummy data and audio writes with no
> > > errors, and even burn the disks with no errors, however, they don't have
> > > any information on them!  :)  An audio CD comes out with all the tracks,
> > > but they all just sound like clicks.  (The data reads a long string of
>
> > Well, one thing you didn't mention is the command line arguments you used
> > with cdrecord to record the audio tracks.
>
> With CDR_DEVICE=0,6,0 and CDR_SPEED=2
>
> cdrecord -v -audio Trackx.wav
>
> > Keep in mind that you need the -swab flag to cdrecord, otherwise the audio
> > tracks will come out sounding like garbage.
>
> It already knows that it needs the -swab for the 926.  I actually wanted
> to try turning it OFF to see if that was the problem, but I never got
> around to recompiling it so it didn't force the 926 to -swab.  (There is
> no -noswab option for drives with it (quirk entried?) hard coded.)

Well, as long as that's the case (that it defaults to -swab), you should
be fine.  The first time I burned an audio CD with cdrecord, I didn't set
the -swab flag and I just got a CD full of noise.

> I then tried doing a data disc, and it didn't work either, so I am
> guessing the the -swab is NOT the problem.  I also tried going from raw
> pcm out of TOSHA and from .wav, if I remember right.  Same results.  It
> also doesn't sound like wrong-endian data...  it clicks at a constant
> rate, not static messy noise.
>
> To burn the data disk, I did a simple cdrecord -v test9660.img
>
> The image is fine, as I can use the vn driver to mount_cd9660 it.  I can't
> mount it from the CD, however.  The track is there, if I do a cdrecord
> -toc, or whathaveyou, but nothing can access it.
>
> In any case, it has been a couple weeks since I last recompiled cdrecord,
> so I'm off to do a cvsup ports-distfile && make.  :)
>
> At least now I know that it SHOULD work if others can burn CDs.  :)

Yeah, it should work okay.  In fact, I just burned a data CD with cdrecord
compiled from Jean-Marc's new port.  I used the following arguments to
mkisofs:

# mkisofs -a -d -D -l -L -N -R -V 1 -o foo.img foo_dir

And I ran cdrecord like this:

# cdrecord dev=1,3,0 speed=4 -data foo.img

The resulting CD reads just fine.  In general, if cdrecord can talk to your
drive at all, it isn't really a CAM problem.  i.e. if you can do something
like 'cdrecord dev=1,3,0 -inq' and 'cdrecord -scanbus', and get valid
results, then the cdrecord<->CAM interface is working just fine.

If the cdrecord<->CAM interface is working okay, then the other things to
look at are the arguments to the mkisofs/tosha/cdrecord commands, the state
of the drive (broken?), type of media, etc.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com